Monday, January 26, 2009

2008: The Year in Review

There was a time when I sent out an annual holiday letter illustrated with photos taken throughout the year. This is sort of like that, only a slightly more high-tech version. (Most links go to past blog posts, Facebook photo albums, or other people's blogs.)
There have been many great years in my life, but 2008 will be hard to top! I married the man of my dreams, took fun vacations, established two freelance careers, reconnected with old friends and made some new ones, embraced life in the Twin Cities, made some home improvements, and celebrated the election of President Barack Obama. Below is a list of some of the year's highlights. I hope you had a wonderful 2008 as well and that you're having a fabulous 2009 so far. All the best to you and yours! ~ Julie

JANUARY
1 - Tomkin and I rang in the New Year by throwing our first party together.
11 - Tomkin proposed on bended knee at W.A. Frost. And I said yes!
25 - I went rock climbing for the first (and probably last) time.
27 - We attended a lovely engagement brunch thrown by Tomkin's friend Sofia.
29-31 - Amy came to town and stayed with us. (I still need to meet that new daughter of hers, Ripley, who was born on May 27th!)

FEBRUARY
1-5 - Tomkin and I went to Grand Forks to visit family and friends. Yes, in February. (Tomkin has sworn never to complain about the cold here again.)
5 - We voted for Obama in the MN caucus. (The lines to get in were around the block!)
6 - Saw "Peer Gynt" at the Guthrie and loved it. Other notable 2008 Guthrie shows included "Little House on the Prairie," "A Midsummer Night's Dream," "The Government Inspector," "Shadowlands," and "A View from the Bridge."
14 - Celebrated our first Valentine's Day together at Forepaugh's.
16 - Went to a fabulous engagement party hosted by our neighbors A.C. and Luke.
18-19 - Took the first of three trips to Duluth to visit Jenny and Allison, who taught a semester of poetry at the university there.
23 - Had very cool engagement photos taken by our neighbor Lucas.
24 - I got to see (and Tomkin got to meet) my cousin Chris and his family, who were visiting from out of town.
29-March 1 - Took our second trip to Duluth.

MARCH
2 - Went to the Semple Mansion wedding fair. (We also attended a wedding show at Macy's in January.)
4 - Met with our caterer. Decided on pulled pork sandwiches, jo-jo potatoes, pasta salad, and watermelon for the wedding.
5 - Got the marriage license!
7 - Saw "A Prairie Home Companion" at the Fitzgerald Theater in St. Paul and loved it. It's a really fun live show, especially when the jokes are regional.
23 - Went to Jill and Chris's house for Easter brunch.
25-26 - Had all new plumbing installed. (Our neighbor Tracy rocks!)
27 - Tomkin was interviewed for NPR about us trying to rent out our house for the Republican National Convention. (We never did rent the house, in case you were wondering.)
28 - We hosted a wedding at our house and celebrated Tomkin's birthday with dinner at W.A. Frost.

APRIL (aka Wedding Month!)
8 - Enjoyed a spa day at Spalon Montage, courtesy of my aunt Carol.
10 - A few friends came to town early. I had a girls' night out, and Tomkin had a guys' night out.
11 - We had lunch with friends, and that evening we had the rehearsal and rehearsal dinner (pizza!).
12 - Our wedding day! Mom and I went to a salon in the morning. We took pictures and then had a beautiful ceremony in our home. Then we had dinner, cake, and toasts and partied late into the night! (Richard put together this video. There are some fun professional shots/collages here.)
13 - We hosted a Sunday brunch and got to spend some relaxed time with family and friends.
14 - Tomkin, Scotty, and I took Scout and Chloe to the dog park.
15-18 - Honeymoon in Northfield!
25-26 - Rehearsal dinner and wedding of Jen and Mike (Tomkin officiated).

MAY
3 - Humane Society Dog Walk with Scout and Chloe.
4 - Dog Days at the St. Paul Saints game with Cassidy and Angie (and our dogs).
5 - The saddest day of the year for me: Scout died unexpectedly.
10-12 - Our third trip to Duluth.
12-13 - Tomkin and I stayed at the Nordic Inn, courtesy of Scotty and Jake.
19 - I joined Facebook. My productivity continues to decline.
20 - We scattered half of Scout's ashes at the dog park and buried the other half in our backyard. (See some of my favorite Scout photos here.) We were worried that Chloe would freak out after Scout died, but she's actually been doing really well.
23 - Kris and Dave's superfun wedding at Stella's Fish Cafe (Tomkin officiated).
24 - Tom and Nancy's 40th wedding anniversary. We took them to dinner at Ecopolitan to celebrate.
26 - Went to Canterbury Park--my first time at the racetrack! (We also went back in June.)

JUNE
3 - At the Xcel Energy Center, heard Barack Obama offically declare that he was the Democratic candidate for President of the United States.
14 - Tomkin and I celebrated one year together with dinner at the Melting Pot.
20-22 - Crashed the Carleton reunion, hung out with the class of '93, and Tomkin stole Schiller during the parade of classes.
30 - Had insulation blown into the attic.

JULY
4 - Went to my first-ever drive-in movie. The movie ("Hancock") sucked, but the experience was a blast.
11-13 - I finally made it to the Fertile Fair with Brenda! Meanwhile, Tomkin stayed home because our house was featured in the Lex-Ham Garden Walk.
27-29 - Tomkin and I enjoyed a mini-vacation in Northfield.

AUGUST
1-5 - Returned to Chicago, hit some of my favorite spots, and hung out with the Game Day Girls, Carrie D., Carrie Mc., Adolfo, Heidi, Josh, Connie and Joleen, Nicole, and some folks from Holy Covenant.
6 - Held my first premarital education class. A second career is born!
9-12 - Went to my 20-year high school reunion in East Grand Forks, Minnesota. Also got to spend some time with family.
21 - Attended the Minnesota State Fair and consumed an ungodly amount of calories.
23 - Tomkin and I hosted a murder-mystery party, complete with dinner and costumes.
26 - Went to the Acme Comedy Club to see live stand-up comedy (which Tomkin loves).
29-September 6 - Escaped the RNC by going to New York City. Got to stay with Jenny and Allison in Brooklyn (before their exodus to Portland, Oregon), see Gin's off-Broadway show (and go to the cast party in a Trump Tower), brave the rides on Coney Island, party at the West Indian parade, learn how to play Mexican train dominos, check out Chinatown, walk across the Brooklyn Bridge, go to the Top of the Rock, see a taping of the Colbert Report (and have dinner with Peter), hang out in Central Park, and see two Broadway shows.

SEPTEMBER
9 - Becca and Omar's fourth son, Leo, was born. We got to see him the next day. So cute!
10 - Had a new bathroom sink installed (and a new toilet). Trust me, this was life-changing!
19, 25 - Went to the Sugar party at the aloft Hotel and the Metro 100 party at the Chambers Hotel.

OCTOBER
1 - I attended the MMPA's magazine celebration. Throughout the year, I went to various publishing-related events hosted by the MMPA, MBPR, PEN, MIPA, and ASI. It's been a great way to meet other local publishing professionals (including freelancers) and connect with new clients.
4 - We hosted a small birthday celebration for me at the house. (The big 3-9!)
7 - On my actual birthday, Tomkin and I spent the afternoon at the Mill City Museum and got dinner at Barbette.
8 - I fell behind on blogging after the wedding. Amy encouraged me to post weekly until my 40th birthday, so I started doing that.
9 - Went to a fundraising party called Think Water at the Weisman Museum.
10 - Started an editorial blog to go along with my freelance editing website.
17 - Hosted one of many fabulous Rock Band nights.
30 - Tomkin and I volunteered for the Obama campaign at Packetland.
31 - On Halloween, we left out a bowl of candy, saw the movie "Happy-Go-Lucky," then went to a party at a neighbors' house.

NOVEMBER
1 - Tomkin and I attended a neighborhood chili party, then went to a Halloween party at Cassidy and Angie's, dressed as Sarah Palin and a skinned moose.
3 - The first monthly Profitlancers meeting of freelance editors, writers, and designers.
4 - Election day! Tomkin and I celebrated at the local DFL party.
6 - I attended the MMPA Excellence Awards, for which I had served as a judge.
8 - Saw an amazing performance by the Royal Winnipeg Ballet.
15-16 - Tomkin and I went to Fargo for my cousin Kristin's wedding. He got to meet a whole new batch of my relatives, and I enjoyed catching up with family members I hadn't seen in years.
20 - We hosted our first "Third Thursdays" cocktail party. Now on the third Thursday of each month, we feature a different cocktail, and people are welcome to come by, chat, relax, and have a drink or two.
27 - For the second year in a row, we hosted Thanksgiving at our home. Our families pitched in with the side dishes; we made the ham!
28 - Toured the Surly Brewery and had dinner with Becca, Omar, Christopher, and Pam.
29 - Went to the annual neighborhood talent show--this year with fire-breathers! (Seriously.)

DECEMBER
15 - Celebrated Christmas with the Colemans, including Jenny and Allison, who were in transit from NYC to Portland.
17-24 - Christmas in Texas (Tomkin flew out to join me on the 20th). While I was gone, Tomkin had new linoleum flooring installed in the kitchen.
25 - Christmas with Tom and Nancy.
28 - Christmas with the Greenes. (Yes, we had four Christmases this year!)
31 - Ended a fabulous year with a fabulous night; enjoyed the tasting menu at W.A. Frost with Kris and Dave.
Here's to a fabulous 2009!

5 comments:

Kerri said...

Phew! What a year, Jules. I'm exhausted just reading it. Take it easy -- you're an old lady, after all.

Amy said...

I don't know how you keep up with it all? And to think of the things the 2009 update will include!

rescue.maven said...

Jules, to think that there was a time when we felt like weren't accomplishing much! What an amazing year you've had, and I'm so happy that you've found your soul mate. Here's to another great and amazing year!! (by the way, while my blogger name is rescue.maven I'm actually your bestest friend in the whole wide world - next to Tomkin of course!)

Sharon said...

What a great year you've had! And busy! Hope 2009 is as good for you both as 2008 was!

Love you,

Mom

Unknown said...

Jules, I know I am the last to read this. I had to make time. It is Feb 10th and I have to say I do not believe I did that much last year. You go jet-setter!
That Tomkin must love you (He smiles in every picture, after picture, & more pictures). LOL. You two look sweet together.

Post a Comment