Saturday, December 27, 2008

Christmas Celebration #1 (of 4)

Wow--I've got some catching up to do! Before I blog about our trip to Texas, I'll just say that it was a lot of fun, and I'll blog about it soon. For now, I'll at least get caught up on the few days before Texas....
Back on Saturday the 13th, we lounged around the house, walked Chloe to the library (it was so nice out!), and then I finished wrapping Christmas gifts while Tomkin took a nap. That evening we went to see the movie "JCVD." I had never seen a Jean-Claude Van Damme movie before. This one--which is a self-reflective vanity project--was pretty interesting and beautifully filmed. I found it quite entertaining.

That Sunday, we slept until 10:00 (Chloe hasn't been bugging us for early morning breakfasts these days). The weather was gross--falling slush. So we skipped a walk and worked out to "Project Runway" instead. That afternoon, Tomkin and I went to the annual Carleton alumni holiday party. Neither of us had ever gone before. It was held at a home on Summit Avenue, which was beautiful, but the party overall was pretty dull. No offense to lawyers, but half the alums there were lawyers--and not particularly interesting ones. Ah, well. That evening I wrote out holiday cards for clients. I'm sort of wishing that we had gotten photo cards this year, what with the wedding and all, but I figure that instead of sending out cards to everyone, I'll do some kind of year-end wrap-up on the blog.Monday was cold and snowy. I ran some errands and made one last pre-Christmas trip to Target. Tomkin and I bundled up Chloe and walked through the -5 degree temps to go get coffee. (There's a Starbucks where we can sit inside and warm up.) Chloe had a sweatshirt and dog booties on, which really seemed to help. Plus she looked adorable! (Altough Tomkin went ahead and ordered a really warm dog coat and high booties for her.) That evening we went to Tomkin's folks' house to celebrate Christmas with the Colemans. Jenny and Allison were in town, on their way between their old home in NYC and their new home in Portland, Oregon. We sat and visited for a while and then opened our gifts.Tomkin's dad, Tom, has been writing sonnets, so he gave each of his kids a copy of his recent poems, and Jenny and Tomkin each read one aloud. They were beautiful and really powerful. Tomkin's family is so warm and fun and interesting--I always have a great time hanging out with them.
Tuesday I went to Weight Watchers and was shocked to find out I had lost 4.2 pounds, for a total of 14.8! (I can tell you that that number will not be the same after the last couple weeks of holiday eating...but I'll get back on track soon.) I ran some errands--it was cold and snowy and pretty nasty out. I spent most of the day packing and getting ready to leave for Texas. Jenny and Allison had planned to meet us at our house for dinner, but the snow (and, thus, the traffic) was so bad, we ended up meeting them halfway, at Pizza Luce in Minneapolis. It was fun to see them again--they're both so funny, smart, and interesting. I wish they had picked the Twin Cities instead of Portland! Hmph. Anyway, Tomkin and I headed home and just relaxed for the rest of the evening.
Soon I'll blog about Christmas #2 in Texas! I hope you've been having a fun and happy holiday season. As always, thanks for reading my blog!

1 comments:

Candy or Jo said...

I'm so glad you got a very cool set of in-laws! That can make a lot of difference if they're uncool, you know. Been there, done that! Steve's family is also fun and interesting, so I finally got lucky too!

Post a Comment