Sunday, May 25, 2008

Wedding Weekend: Saturday Part I

Our Wedding Day!
I had always imagined that when I woke up on my wedding day, it would feel different somehow, and I'd have a surge of bridal energy and excitement running through me. Nope. It pretty much just felt like a day on which we'd be throwing a big party. Not that I wasn't excited about marrying Tomkin, mind you, because I was thrilled about that. But it didn't feel like The Greatest, Most Important Day of My Life, and I didn't feel anxious or nervous at all. Ready to Go to the Salon with Mom
Tomkin and I had breakfast, and my mom came over about noon. She and I went to Estetica Salon & Spa so I could get my hair and make-up done. (Mom's treat, which was really nice!) Getting My Hair Done By James at Estetica
I started off getting my hair done by James, who used crazy ultra-hot irons to curl my hair. Next I moved on to AnneMarie for make-up. Everyone was so nice, and it was a fun and relaxing way to ease into the wedding celebration. It was nice to get to spend that time with Mom, too. Getting My Make-Up Done By AnneMarie at Estetica
I got home around 2:00 and changed into my wedding attire. Would you believe that I spent less on my wedding dress than my mom did on hers 40 years ago? I liked my dress, but I LOVED my shoes. Tomkin also got into his wedding clothes--he wore a tie that my dad and Sandy had given him for Christmas (plus a suit, of course). Love Those Strappy Shoes!
People started showing up about 3:15. Oddly, I didn't feel nervous at all. With my hair and make-up all done up, wearing a fancy dress and shoes, I kind of felt like I was in a play. It didn't really sink in that this was my Wedding Day--until Tomkin's buddies started arriving in their suits. Then I knew this was no ordinary party. JimDog, Dick, Scotty, Jake, Tomkin, and Pete All Suited Up
Tomkin presented each of the ushers with their own sword. (That way, if anyone from a neighboring village tried to steal me away, as in medieval times, the men--and Jenny--would be armed and ready to protect me. Really, though, they all just thought it would be cool to have swords.) Tomkin Presenting Head Usher Scotty with a SwordAaahhh! I've Made a Horrible Mistake!
Everyone was joyful and celebratory as we chatted and waited for the photographers, who finally showed up about 4:00. We had to rush to get all our pictures taken, even with my abbreviated shot list. Guests started arriving about 4:30 and mingled while we finished the formal shots. Christopher and Becca
The thing I had been most worried about was having so many things happening all at once: taking pictures, the caterer and bartender setting up, and guests starting to arrive. Thankfully, Tomkin's awesome friends who served as our ushers took all the burden off my shoulders by managing the various activities. Scotty was our head usher; he was in charge of music and setting up the chairs for guests. (He also walked Sandy down the aisle.) Pete welcomed guests, handed out programs, and took gifts and cards that people brought. Jake and JimDog coordinated with the caterer and bartender to help them set up downstairs. They all took their responsibilities very seriously, so I didn't have to worry about them. I just got to focus on getting married!The Colemans, Greenes, and CouncilmansTomkin, Jules, Mom, and DickJules and Tomkin with Dad, Sandy, Phillip, and Alex
Jules and Tomkin with Nancy, Tom, Allison, and JennyJimDog, Scotty, Tomkin, Jake, Pete, and Jenny Ready for Action!Brenda and JulesJules and Tomkin Cracking Up with Maid of Honor Brenda and Groom's Attendant Jenny
The Bride and Groom, Minutes Before the Wedding
I did get a little antsy with the pictures since they took longer than they should have. (We were taking pictures in the same area where guests would be seated in the dining room.) But we got good shots of the families, our attendants, and the bride and groom. We finally wrapped up a little before 5:00 so Scotty could set up the chairs and we could prepare for the wedding to begin.

2 comments:

Candy or Jo said...

Maybe you didn't get nervous because you knew you were marrying the right guy! As I recall, you spent many years getting through the woods to Tomkin and we're all delighted that you did!!!

Lucas said...

What a great description. I felt like I was there. Your pics look great and I'm so happy for you guys.

Post a Comment