Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Delightful Duluth

Sure, Tomkin and I just went up to Grand Forks earlier in February. But we decided that just wasn't cold enough. So we headed to Duluth. His sister's partner, Allison, is teaching poetry and literature at UMD this semester, and Jenny is currently visiting her from NYC. So we and Tom & Nancy (the folks) drove up to Duluth yesterday to see them. We hung out for a while in Allison's apartment, and then Jenny treated us for dinner at the Timber Lodge Steakhouse. Family friends Julie & Joey also joined us. Tomkin tried walleye for the first time. I had it, too--it was delicious! He also proposed again so he could get his family's blessing right there on the spot. We've realized that we started out being insufferable when we were dating, and now we're insufferable being engaged. Next we'll be insufferable as newlyweds. Then we'll think of another stage to be insufferable at! Anyway, after dinner we went to Julie & Joey's beautiful home for tea and dessert. Joey put on some Dixieland music and started playing the spoons. This inspired much dancing and merriment. Once we were all full and exhausted, Tom and Nancy headed to a hotel, and Tomkin and I sat up talking with Jenny and Allison. This morning we went out for breakfast, and then Tom drove back to the Cities with us. (Nancy's staying in Duluth for a few more days.) This was the longest amount of time I'd ever spent in Duluth. When I'd driven through it before, it always seemed very industrial and unattractive to me. But this time, going into different neighborhoods, seeing the gorgeous view of the lake, and spending a little time in the fun touristy area, I really warmed up to it. (Ironic weather pun intended.) Tomkin and I are looking forward to going back for another visit when it's a little warmer and we can spend some time walking around outside.

2 comments:

Jo said...

I've always wanted to visit Duluth...but I'll probably wait until summer. There's something very romantic about sitting somewhere and watching the big ships come through.

It sounds like you guys are having a wonderful time!

Lucas said...

Boy I turn my head for one minute and miss SO much! Just got all caught up. Glad you guys are having so much fun. Sorry I missed your engagement party but I had to celebrate my birthday since nobody else was going to do that for me. See you guys this weekend! Engagement photos await!

Post a Comment