Thursday, November 1, 2007

Life in Minnesota

The dogs and I got on the road about 12:30 Sunday the 21st and made it to St. Paul by 8:15 (with two stops along the way). Scout and Chloe were really good and patient travelers. As soon as we arrived, Tomkin and I took the dogs for a walk. Then he showed them around the house. They were pretty excited for the first day or so, trying to figure things out. But already they're loving it here. Tomkin took all last week off (as did I), and we enjoyed "vacationing" at home. We took the dogs on lots of walks--most of the stores here let you bring dogs inside!--and to the amazing dog park. I still can't get over how huge the dog park here is! (And apparently there are others.) Wednesday night we saw "Jane Eyre" at the Guthrie (Tomkin has season tickets), which was really fun. The theater is beautiful! My stuff arrived on Thursday. There were only two guys to unload the truck, so it took them about four hours (including a long break). They weren't very happy--in fact, by the end of the day, both of them said they were quitting their jobs. They even offered to pay me so they wouldn't have to move my sofabed up to the attic. That was a long day for all of us.... Tomkin and I have been steadily unpacking, making room for my stuff, and putting lots of things in storage. My new office and library space are amazing! Tomkin completely finished half of the basement for me--put up new walls, covered and painted the ceiling, and finished the floor. We ordered a couple rugs, so the space is really cozy. I haven't done a lot of unpacking in those rooms yet...but I'll get there. Saturday night we went to a "Pizza Club" gathering with some of Tomkin's friends, and on Sunday we went to a pumpkin-carving/football-watching party. Then on Monday it was back to the real world again, although my real world--in terms of work--has changed dramatically! Tomkin went back to the office, and I set up shop here at home to do freelance editing. It's taking a little getting used to, but I really think I'm going to like it. I went to Target by myself on Monday, and on Tuesday I drove into downtown Minneapolis to pick up Tomkin from work, and then we went to his parents' house for lunch. This was only the second time I've met them, but I already feel like I know them so well. They're really warm and welcoming and interesting, and I look forward to spending more time with them and getting to know them better. Last night for Halloween, we handed out candy to neighborhood trick-or-treaters. Then we took the dogs for a walk, which we've been doing every night. They love it! Life in Minnesota is definitely off to a good start for all of us. And apparently the whole rumor about cold winters up here is a big lie, since it's been in the 60s and 70s much of the time I've been here....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hooray! Posts! I'm been dying to get a little glimpse of what you guys have been up to. You did not disappoint.

See you very soon, Jules!
xo

Mary Beth said...

Thanks for the update! Glad to hear you're settling in well...not that I'm surprised. Can't wait too see you this weekend!

Candy or Jo said...

You guys look really cool and very happy together. Keep it up!

Post a Comment