Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Writes & Wrongs: Serial Drama

Recently I've had some impassioned conversations about the serial comma. (Yes, really.) Most of the editors I know feel very strongly about including the final comma before the word "and" in a series because it lessens the likelihood of ambiguity or confusion. (Just about everyone has now heard the example of eats, shoots, and leaves.) Others--mainly those familiar with AP style--feel that this comma is unnecessary, that it takes too much extra space or time to include it. But I--and most of my word geek friends (many of whom edit for a living)--feel very strongly about including this comma as a standard means of clarity in writing. And isn't that really what good editing is all about?

3 comments:

Kelly said...

Long live the serial comma! Editors and writers who don't use it are just lazy. And not that bright.

Kerri said...

Having used AP style for many of formative editing years (on the college paper), I still contend that the serial comma is entirely necessary. Give me one more keystroke and complete clarity, please!

Candy or Jo said...

I've always been a fan of commas, as anyone who's read my ponderings can attest...

Post a Comment