Wednesday, May 30, 2007

The Forks Are Still Grand

I got home tonight from a weekend with friends and family in my hometown, Grand Forks, North Dakota. In case I had any doubt, I was reminded that yes, my family is still crazy--especially my WAFF ("Weird Aunt From Florida"), Candy--in the best possible way. Saturday night the family convened at Grandma's place for hotdish, and we laughed so hard, my stomach actually hurt. This family doesn't pull a whole lot of punches--and they sure do love to talk (and laugh) about death! And medical stuff (phlegm, wounds, etc.). Fun! On Sunday, Mike and Renee had us over for a cookout. Our challenge became to get a picture of friend-of-the-blog Michael. (Throwing hot dogs does not deter us!) We played Shanghai/Shangri-La and Skip-Bo, and I was able to show off my fabulous game-playing skills. The way I did that was by letting other people win. On Monday (Memorial Day), Brenda and I both paid tribute to our grandfathers by visiting their gravesites. (The last time I was in Grand Forks was for Grandpa Tack's funeral in March 2005.) We had lunch at LaCampana (always a favorite spot of mine), and that night we went out with our moms for our traditional Girls' Night Out. This time around we went to the Eagle's Crest, where I enjoyed a walleye sub (not something you usually find in Chicago), and we celebrated Mom's birthday with wine and ice cream before heading back to Barb's house. Tuesday I spent the day with Mom, Candy, and The Grandma-nator. We made a trip to Widman's for Chippers and other treats. Mmmmm..... We also drove by the buffalo farm. That night, Brenda, her boyfriend Chris, and I had dinner and drinks at the Green Mill. I don't know when I've had so much food in such a short amount of time.... But it was all worth it. It really was great to see everyone again, and I enjoyed my relaxing stay at The Oasis with Brenda. The time always just goes by too quickly.....

4 comments:

Kerri said...

What a great visit home, Jules! Everyone looks so happy and wonderful. And the food sounds delicious. I sure could go for a walleye sub....

Sharon said...

Hi Jules! You picked some great pictures! Including you weird aunt Candy looking like her normal self. It was a fun trip, wasn't it?

Candy or Jo said...

It should be noted here that Jules LOST at Shanghai, and only redeemed herself a bit on the last hand. We are very fortunate to have a great family and Jules is blessed to have me for an aunt!!!

The WAFF

rescue.maven said...

Well Jules, even though I still have LOTS of left over bloody mary fixings, peppermint bon bon ice cream, and salsa... at least it's still here in GF for me to finish! Sure am glad you were here- I"m looking forward to the next visit-

Post a Comment