Sunday, December 9, 2007

The Week in Review

Our first week of full-time freelancing flew by, and not without a few bumps along the way. It turned out that both of us being online all day was a little overwhelming to our DSL line, so we decided to scrap it and go with cable. It also made sense to get rid of the satellite TV and get cable service there as well (which also means we're back to TiVo! yay!). We suffered through painfully slow internet connections until Thursday, when the cable guy came over. He ended up being here for 5-1/2 hours and even called another guy in for back-up. (The cables outside were old, and we also had phone lines installed, so it was a huge job.) We ended up missing dog training class that night and went to a make-up class yesterday instead.

Tomkin kept busy setting up his home office, and he also hung up curtains in my office and in the kitchen and totally reorganized his clothes closet. We ran lots of errands, walked the dogs, and I talked on the phone with a few friends. (For people I haven't caught up with yet via phone or e-mail, I haven't forgotten about you! I'm just not a great communicator these days. But I'm working on it!) I finished up my Christmas shopping, and we had lunch with Tomkin's parents on Wednesday. Tomkin and I also put up some stuff for sale on eBay. I'd never done that before. I've made two sales so far, but nothing major. But hey, if I can get a few bucks for stuff I don't want anyway, that seems like a pretty good deal to me!

I got some bad news about work--it looks like one of the steady freelance jobs I was counting on has now fallen through (the company was bought out by someone else; lots of folks being let go). So now I'm on the hunt for other freelance editing jobs. But I'm determined to make it work! Even with its pitfalls, I'm loving the freelance life. And the dogs are loving it, too!

2 comments:

Candy or Jo said...

I'm certain Chloe and Scout were devastated to miss their class. We switched to a Verizon bundle which includes phone, ISP and Direct TV -- it was a bit of a nightmare since the technician, by virtue of company rules, was not allowed to go into our attic, so Steve had to crawl up and find some cable. We also had to have a satellite receiver put on the roof of our apartment building, and the landlord nearly had a stroke at that idea, saying that they are never taken down when people move out. We signed an agreement that we'd take it down if we ever move. Now we can't get PPV movies because of some problem with the phone line. Isn't technology grand?

Anonymous said...

Cable rocks...

Post a Comment