Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Turning the Page

When I started at Publications International, Ltd., in March 1993, I was 23 years old, living with almost no furniture in a studio apartment in Lincoln Park (for which I paid $385/month + heat), and made $16,500 a year working in the Visual Resource Center. Over the last 14-1/2 years I worked my way up to Production Editor, Associate Editor, Editor, Publications Coordinator, and Senior Editor. One of my bosses got fired, and one has passed away. We went from using keyliners to computers, gained a strong online presence, and grew so much that some of us moved into a second building. For years, the Game Day Girls (me, Joanna, Mary Beth, Kelly, Kerri, and Jill) used to congregate once a week during lunch to play games (and at other times to play Boggle), but I'm the only one of the six left at PIL. And now I'm leaving, too. I officially turned in my letter of resignation yesterday, and my last day as a PIL employee will be Friday, October 19th. After I move to St. Paul, I'll be doing freelance editing full-time. Tomkin created a Web site for me (julielgreene.com) and has finished his basement so I can have my own office and library. I've really enjoyed my time at PIL and have made some of the greatest friends of my life there. But I'm excited about the next chapter (publishing pun intended!).

2 comments:

Kerri said...

PIL's loss is St. Paul's gain. Go, Jules! (Sadly, PIL's loss also means our loss. Sob. OK, going back to not thinking about it.)

Sharon said...

Jules, Didn't I ever teach you to use a kleenix? Love, Mom

Post a Comment