Thursday, March 26, 2009

Spring Has Sprung

Well, spring is officially here, although I'm not sure you'd know it from the last couple days. Ah, well.... Last Thursday (March 19th) I started out the day by getting a spray tan and running errands. Then I went to Estetica and got a haircut. And I think I've finally found a stylist I like! That has not been an easy task. Tomkin and I walked Chloe and got ready for our Third Thursdays party. This month we served Irish whiskey drinks in honor of St. Patrick's Day. (We also had Irish cream as a back-up.) We had a great turnout, including many of the neighbors and newlyweds Heidi and Chris. By the end, it was me, Tomkin, Helena, Charles, and Luke sitting around laughing and talking. It was a really fun night.
Friday we cleaned up from the party, and then Tomkin met with a couple and went into the office. I got stuff done at home. It was raining, so we didn't go for a walk. That evening we exercised to "Project Runway" and finally watched the finale of "Superstars of Dance." (It was a little anticlimactic, I have to say.)
Saturday was the first day of spring! And it was really a beautiful day. Tomkin and I finally made it to Helena's kundalina yoga class at the Center for Happiness. It was 90 minutes long, but it flew by! This was unlike any yoga I've taken before. I used to take "power yoga" at my gym in Chicago, but this was more spiritual and less physical. (Though I was surprisingly sore the next day!) Tomkin and I both felt relaxed and refreshed when the class was over, like we had awakened from a nice long nap. I felt both centered and energized. It was wonderful! Helena encouraged everyone in the class to write down three things they would like to see happen in their lives over the next six months and then put that paper away somewhere. It's like you're sending those desires out into the universe, and you don't have to think about them any more. So Tomkin and I both did that. I met up with Heidi at Nina's Coffee Cafe, and we talked about plans for our upcoming mini high school reunion. It's just a couple months away now! We found out that our friend Sarah is definitely coming, which is really cool. I probably haven't seen her in 20 years! I'm hoping I can talk my friend Kristen into coming, too. I know for sure that Lana is coming, which is awesome. We've invited about 20 people all together. Tomkin spent the afternoon scraping and then repainting the trim of our front door. I hadn't realized how chipped it was. It looks much nicer now. We took Chloe for a walk--it was gorgeous out! And that night Helena came over, and we all walked over to Pizza Luce. It has been so wonderful to reconnect with her. We all sat and talked for hours and had a great time.
On Sunday we tried an experiment--letting Chloe up on the bed! It's something I've wanted to do for ages (and used to do in Chicago), but Tomkin has been hesitant. So far, so good, although Chloe actually seemed a little confused by the whole thing. But I think she just likes being with the pack, and if that means sleeping on the bed, then that makes her happy! The first night she was a little too twitchy to stay up there the whole time, but she's gotten better throughout the week.Tomkin and I took Chloe to the dog park, although she was having one of her "shy" days and stuck pretty close. She was happy to run into the water, though, and up the hill that we refer to as "Scout's Ridge." Everything looks so brown right now. It'll be nice when things start blooming again!When we got home, I read with Chloe on the bed, and Tomkin scraped and then repainted our front steps. They look so much better now! He also bought a new sign for our front door. I had put up a "No Solicitors" sign, but he replaced it with one that says, "Before Your Wedding Day Premarital Counseling" and then (in small letters) "No Solicitors." It looks much more friendly and welcoming. Except to solicitors, I hope. That evening we exercised to the finale of "Project Runway." (We're all done with the series now--next we'll finish watching the "Rescue Me" DVDs.) Then I watched "Amazing Race," and Tomkin read. It was a nice, relaxing Sabbath.


On Monday, Tomkin went into the office, and I went shopping at Target, then did some work at home. We both walked Chloe--it was gray and drizzly out. That evening I had a premarital counseling session, and Tomkin met with a couple. Then we and Chloe curled up on the couch and watched the first episode of "Texas Ranch House." (I can tell it's going to be good!)
It was too rainy for a walk on Tuesday. Tomkin worked at the office. I went shopping at Cub and Borders, then got stuff done at home. That evening we went to Kris and Dave's house for dinner. Dave's daughter Emily was there, too. (And we brought Chloe along to play with George.) We had an amazing meal (Gambian stew and homemade bread), some fabulous martinis, and a wonderful, relaxing evening with good friends.
Tomkin had lunch with his folks on Wednesday, but I was so swamped that I didn't go along. As a birthday gift, Tomkin's mom put together a book with 40 photos of Tomkin wearing 40 different hats. It's so cool! I love seeing Tomkin at all ages--from babyhood to his teen years to the present day--wearing so many different hats. Apparently he's been a hat guy all his life. And now we've got the photos to prove it! That was such a fun, sweet gift. I'm working on a grant-writing project now, so I spent my afternoon doing that. Tomkin got my newest website up, for my burgeoning wedding photography business. Multiple income streams! We took Chloe for a short walk (it was pretty chilly out), and then Tomkin headed to his weekly poker game, and I had a premarital counseling session, then talked to my mom. Her birthday is on Saturday--same day as Tomkin's!
Today (Thursday), Tomkin went into the office, and I stayed home and baked cookies. Wow, that sounds very 1950s, doesn't it?! As an early birthday treat, I made some sugar-free cookies that both Tomkin and Chloe really like. We took Chloe for a walk this afternoon (through the lightly falling snow), and now we're in for the evening. Happy early birthday to my mom and Tomkin and also to my grandma (her birthday's on Monday)! And best wishes to all my friends and family in the Red River Valley, who are preparing for a potential flood. We're sending good thoughts your way!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You look so beautiful and happy, Jules! :-)

Sarah said...

Love the hat book gift! How fun!

I'm definitely looking forward to the upcoming reunion.

Blessings,
Sarah

Post a Comment