Wednesday, March 4, 2009

March Roars in Like a Lion

Last Thursday started out just fine--there were foreboding tales of the Snowpocalypse to come, but we didn't see any sign of it. Tomkin drove down to Northfield to have lunch with a former professor. I joined the Creatives Group for a tour of the Nomadic Press in St. Paul. The tour was fun and interesting, and we even got to partake in some hands-on activities. Kent Aldrich, who owns the print shop, has been in business for about 20 years and does beautiful work. If you need anything printed via letterpress, this really is the place to go!By the time I left at 1:30, the blizzard was in full force. Driving home was absolutely treacherous. I honestly wasn't even sure if I would make it up the very steep Ramsey Hill--thankfully, a salt truck pulled out right in front of me and paved my way! Even so, my little Lancer had to fight to reach the top of the hill. But we made it! I was so, so thankful to get home. I assumed that Tomkin would probably just spend the night in Northfield, but no--he spent two hours driving home through whiteout conditions. He said there were cars and trucks in the ditch at various spots along the way. I was really relieved when he finally made it home. Both of us were scheduled to meet with couples that night, but we postponed the meetings. Tomkin did some work, I went through Spain photos, and we both took a nap. It was nice to have an unexpectedly free evening at home.
Friday it was sunny out and seemed extra bright thanks to all the new snow. (I think we got about 8 inches.) One thing that keeps me feeling good throughout the winter is getting a spray tan every week. So I made my way through the snowy streets to get to Palm Beach Tan on Grand Avenue. That afternoon, Tomkin and I met with our tax accountant. Until this year, my taxes have always been fairly straightforward. But now with four freelance businesses and a partnership LLC between us, things are really complicated. Tomkin has been working hard to get all our info together, and I think it's finally out of our hands. Phew! Friday night Tomkin officiated a wedding, and I went along. The reception was at the St. Paul Hotel. It was a beautiful wedding, and we really enjoyed visiting with some of the other guests. And even though it's Lent, I did have a slice of the delicious chocolate wedding cake.
Saturday morning I led a premarital counseling session, and then I pretty much spent the rest of the day cropping, deleting, and labeling Spain photos. I finally finished up all the photos from Vaughan Town (nearly 1,000), and now I still need to finish the photos from Madrid and Toledo. Tomkin had a rehearsal and a wedding on Saturday afternoon/evening. Wedding season is already starting to pick up!
Sunday morning, Tomkin and I picked up Pete, and we all went to church at Plymouth Congregational in Minneapolis. We met our friends Joe and Jennifer there and sat with them. There were some things we liked about the service and the church (the people were really friendly, and they're very liberal), but the congregation was--how shall I say it--mostly on the other side of retirement. (Way on the other side....) In other words, I don't think we're going to find a lot of peers to hang out with at this place. We stayed for the brunch and talked with two other couples (both retired), who were really nice and interesting. But I think I probably want a place where more of the congregants are closer to our age. Like Holy Covenant.... We're going to give it one more shot in a couple weeks and then decide if we want to go back or continue church-shopping elsewhere. Tomkin and I got home about 2:00 and spent the rest of the day in Sabbath mode. We took a two-hour nap, walked Chloe, and I read a People magazine and watched "Amazing Race" while Tomkin met with a couple. I kept my computer off all day, which was quite a challenge! But I'm really trying to embrace the idea of a Sabbath day with no plans (expect maybe church or yoga), no computer, no phone, no work, and no cleaning. Right now it's surprisingly tough, but I think it will get easier with practice. I love being busy and having a lot on my plate, and I always feel like there are more projects I could be working, more activities I could be involved in, more friends I could be spending time with. But I think it will be good for me to have a day of rest, quiet, and stillness. I'm learning that the world just keeps on turning even if I take a day off!
Monday morning I dove into Facebook and my e-mails and spent much of the morning responding to work inquiries. Tomkin went into the office and had lunch with Chris Hagerman, who was in town because his grandmother-in-law passed away. I went to the library and Target, and then we both took Chloe for a walk. That evening, Tomkin met with a couple, and I had a premarital education session. I'm really thankful that we've both been getting so much work.
On Tuesday (yesterday), Tomkin's car needed a jump before he headed into the office. I spent the day working at home, and we both walked Chloe in the afternoon. Last night we went to "The Two Gentlemen of Verona" at the Guthrie. It's a Shakespeare play that was set as though it was being filmed as a live performance in the 1950s. I would say that it was not their most successful effort. (Tomkin thought it was crap.) We did both like the dog, though.
I went to bed last night feeling a little stuffed up, and when I woke up today I could tell that a cold had settled into my head. I opted not to join Tomkin for lunch with his folks. Instead I stayed home and worked on editorial blog posts and Web text for my premarital counseling site. Tomkin's car wouldn't start again, so we jumped it and then drove it to an auto repair shop on Grand. We brought Chloe with us and all walked back home (it was gorgeous out! nearly 40 degrees), then picked up the car later. (It just needed a new battery.) Now Tomkin is at his weekly poker game, Chloe is snoring on the couch, and I'm going to watch "American Idol" after I wrap up here. I talked to my mom earlier, and she said that my Grandma Tack is in the hospital. She fell in her apartment and hasn't been eating much lately, so she's pretty weak. It looks like she'll probably be heading into a nursing home when she's released, which she said she's okay with. But of course we're all concerned. Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers!

Have a good week, and thanks for reading!

1 comments:

Lucas said...

Sorry to hear about your Grandma. It's hard when people lose their freedom and mobility. Best wishes to her.

Post a Comment