Friday, April 3, 2009

Tomkin Is Fabulous at Forty!

Last Friday, March 27th, I baked a sugar-free birthday cake with sugar-free frosting. Tomkin spent the day meeting with contractors to get bids for redoing our patio and sidewalk on the side of the house and re-pouring cement for the steps in front of our house. (That's the plan for this year. Next year we're going to replace the timbers that line our yard with pavers, and we're going to have the chimney redone.)

Next year, all the timbers lining our yard will be replaced by pavers.

We'll be replacing these concrete blocks with smooth, curving cement, and we'll also be creating a patio out of brick pavers. (This is a photo from last fall.)

Both of us went to a yoga class at the fabulous Center for Happiness and felt wonderful afterward. Unfortunately that feeling didn't last throughout the evening. We settled in and watched a couple more episodes of Texas Ranch House. It ended up being almost disturbing to watch because of the poor treatment of the ranch hands and all the horrible management decisions. We agreed not to watch any more episodes--it was just too unpleasant!
Saturday, March 28th, was Tomkin's 40th birthday (and my mom's birthday, too!). That morning, I gave Tomkin a book of photos and birthday greetings from some of his friends and family members. He met with one more contractor then headed to the library, and I had a premarital counseling session. I did a little decorating--put up some balloons and a birthday banner. For lunch, I took Tomkin to the Loring Pasta Bar. We both love that place, but we don't go there very often. We got a cozy seat by the window, and enjoyed some fabulous food. Then we went home and took an hour-long nap. Tomkin got lots of cards in the mail, which he thought was really fun. We took Chloe for a walk and took extra notice of people's front steps and sidewalks. I had never noticed how some are so beautiful and others look like crap! I'm really excited to have ours reworked. That evening, Pete, JimDog, and Kris & Dave came over, and we all went to Pizza Luce for Tomkin's birthday dinner. I had asked if he wanted a big party, and he said no, he wanted to keep the festivities small. We all had a great time hanging out, talking, and laughing. And even though it's still Lent, I had some pizza in honor of Tomkin's big day (and, later, some chocolate). After dinner, we all headed back to our house for cake and ice cream. I think Tomkin had a really fun day, and I had a great time celebrating him.
Sunday morning we sat around and talked for a couple hours, about all kinds of stuff. I'm still amazed how quickly time flies when Tomkin and I are together! I caught up on "American Idol" (am love, love, loving Adam!!!), and we took Chloe for a nice walk. We spent the day lounging around, reading, and watching a little TV, and Tomkin talked to his sister, Jenny. We're done with all the old episodes of "Project Runway" (sigh...), so now we're exercising to "Rescue Me." Both of us LOVE that show! Once again, it was a nice, relaxing Sabbath day. I am really enjoying this new tradition. I guard my Sundays fiercely now.
Monday morning Tomkin met with one more contractor. I caught up on my e-mails, did my weekly shopping trip to Target, and we both took Chloe for a walk. That night while Tomkin met with a couple, I had a premarital counseling session. Afterward I had a phone date with my friend Jennifer. It was great to catch up with her. I just wish I got to see her more often!
On Tuesday we took Chloe along for lunch at Tomkin's folks' house. We also brought along the birthday book I had made for him. They gave him a belated gift--a stuffed bunny rabbit (so cute!). Tomkin headed into the office, and I worked on a grant proposal. It was chilly and rainy, so we didn't go for a walk. That evening I had another premarital counseling session; Tomkin and Chloe just hung out in the basement. Then I caught up on watching "Dancing with the Stars." This is kind of a weak season overall, but I'm pretty blown away by Gilles Marini.
A year or so ago, my aunt Carol told me about the Love Languages book. Tomkin and I took the quiz (his love language is "words of affirmation"; mine is "physical touch"). We've given the test to a few other people, but we decided we wanted to give it to as many friends and family members as possible. So Tomkin hired someone to create an online quiz, and then we e-mailed to a bunch of people. It has been so fun getting the results! I really feel like it allows you to learn how to relate to people better. If you'd like to learn your love language, take this quiz, and Tomkin will send you the results.
Wednesday morning Tomkin drove his mom to the airport. She's visiting Chicago with a friend for a few days. I finished editing the grant proposal, and we both took Chloe for a walk. That evening Tomkin had his weekly poker game, and I had another premarital counseling session (we just posted a new sign for my business on the front door, and I am now a proud member of the St. Paul Chamber of Commerce), then talked to my mom. Then I caught up on "American Idol." (Between work and TV, I have not had time to blog!)
Yesterday (Thursday), I did more grant research as well as some other work. Tomkin had lunch with his friend Nikki, then went into the office. We both walked Chloe, and then I had one last premarital counseling session for the week (phew!). Helena came over, and we all headed to the Halftime Rec to see our friend Tom's band, the Durty Nellys. I had never been to that bar before. It's a little neighborhood place, distinctive for having bocci ball courts in the basement. We stayed until the band finished playing at 12:30. We had such a great time! The band was really rocking out. Tomkin eventually couldn't take it anymore--he had to get up out of his seat and dance around. It was such a fun night!
We slept in this morning, and then I ran some errands. It's been gorgeous and sunny out, although not quite warm yet. (So, so close! I have been seeing lots of robins.) We took Chloe for a walk, and checked in on Kris and Dave's cats. Tomkin napped, and I did a little work. Now he's at a wedding rehearsal, and he's got a wedding later tonight. Wedding season is starting up again! Later tonight we're meeting up with our friend Mark at Solera, which should be fun. Have a great weekend, everyone, and thanks for reading my blog!

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Happy Birthday! Sounds like you had fun.

Candy or Jo said...

I LOVE Tomkin's bunny! Not to seem totally ignorant, but what are pavers? Looks like Tomkin had a fun birthday and it was great seeing a photo of you looking domestic for a change!

Lucas said...

LTC - Rabbit expert! I LOVE that your folks gave you a stuffed bunny. That's hilarious. And you DO look fabulous at 40! There are SO MANY of us now! :) Looks like you had a great day of celebrating. See you round the block!
BTW, I love bumping into you guys all the time while you are out with Chloe. That red backpack is a frequent site on Grand Ave. I love it!

Post a Comment