Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Ready for a Spring Vacation

So last Friday I had written that Tomkin and I would be going out later that night with his friend Mark. Well, unfortunately, Tomkin had a wedding and ended up getting a flat tire. He was in good spirits about the whole thing, but he didn't get home until 10:00, and by then he was exhausted, so we just ended up staying in.
On Saturday, I went to my friend Jill's baby shower. It was one of the classiest showers I've ever been to. It was held in the back room of the Grand Cafe in Minneapolis, and we got to select food and drinks from a lovely brunch menu. People flew in from all over the country for this event, and Jill got lots of nice gifts. I enjoyed chatting with Cheryl and Erin (and drinking a bellini and a mimosa). It was also nice to see Jill again and meet her mom, sister, and friends. It was a pretty nice day out, so Tomkin planted some raspberry bushes in our backyard.He picked his mom up from the airport (she'd been in Chicago with a friend for a few days), then officiated a wedding. We both took Chloe for a walk, and then we exercised to "Rescue Me." Then we curled up on the couch and watched "The Office" and "30 Rock." Tomkin read, and I played on the computer. Kind of a nice mellow evening.
Sunday morning we woke up to snow. Sure, it was pretty, but I think we're all a little over the white stuff by this point. Thankfully, it all melted by the end of the day. I did some organizing in the basement, and Tomkin ran a few errands. I spent much of the day reading Temple Grandin's new book, "Animals Make Us Human," about animals' emotional lives. There are chapters about dogs, cats, horses, cows, pigs, poultry, wildlife, and zoo animals, and how to enrich their lives. A fascinating book--I highly recommend it. Tomkin and I took a long nap, and then he was feeling a little stir-crazy, and Chloe was, too. So we all went outside and had Chloe run up and down the block a few times. Our neighbor across the street, Sheila, came over with two of her kids. They had fun playing with Chloe, and we enjoyed a nice, long visit. Sheila ran home and got me a slice of a clementine-almond cake she had just baked. Delicious! (I enjoyed it with a glass of Bailey's.) After being outdoors for a while and talking with a cool neighbor, neither Tomkin nor I had cabin fever anymore. We finished off the day by exercising to "Rescue Me." Such a good show!
Monday morning I had a premarital counseling session, and Tomkin went to Juut Salon/Spa on Grand Ave. to get a massage with the gift card that JimDog had given him for his birthday. Not a bad way to start the week! He went into the office, and I caught up on my e-mails, then went shopping at Target. We both took Chloe for a walk, and then we met Becca and Omar for dinner at Salsa a la Salsa. They had a babysitter for the evening and were ready to kick back and relax. We split two pitchers of margaritas and had lots of delicious food. It was SO much fun to see them and catch up. Time just flies when we hang out with them. After we parted ways, Tomkin and I stopped by the Spyhouse coffeeshop and got a cup of coffee. We hadn't been there before--cool place.
On Tuesday, Tomkin headed into the office, and I did some cleaning and organizing at home. (I have two big projects coming up, but there was no work to be done on either of them this week, so I took advantage of the opportunity to get some other stuff done.) Tomkin and I walked Chloe down to Frattallone's Ace Hardware on Grand Ave. The people who work there are really friendly, and they're always happy to let dogs in the store. We love that! That evening Tomkin met with a couple, and I talked to Mom and then caught up on "Dancing with the Stars."
Today (Wednesday) Tomkin spray-painted the white metalwork outside our front door (covered up the rusty areas) and did some touch-ups on the stairs and trim. I love that we're constantly making small improvements to the house. It looks better and better all the time! I did some cleaning and ran a couple errands. Tomkin had lunch with his folks and then headed into the office. I took my Mac (and my old PC) to the Apple store at the Rosedale Mall so I could finally get all my iTunes music transferred. Tomkin and I walked Chloe, and this evening he played poker, and I had a premarital counseling session. It ended about 8:40, and I RACED to get back to the Apple store by 9:00. Just barely made it! The guy who checked me out was SO nice. I can't say enough good things about Macs, and my experience with the Apple store made me love them even more! Once I got back, I was pretty tired. I should probably pack for our weekend trip to Northfield, but I guess I'll do that in the morning (especially since I still want to watch "American Idol"--go Adam!). Tomkin and I are going to stay at the Archer House the next couple nights and have a nice little vacation in the town where we met, in honor of our first anniversary, which is on Sunday. In some ways it's hard to believe it's already been a year...and in other ways it's hard to believe it's ONLY been a year. Either way, it's been an amazing year!

0 comments:

Post a Comment