Friday, April 27, 2007

Come Hell and High Water

It was ten years ago this month that my hometown, Grand Forks, ND, was hit with a massive flood and then a fire that destroyed many businesses and homes. My friend Brenda's basement was completely submerged; she managed to get safely out of town after seeing the water flowing down her street. The Security Building, where we used to rehearse with the North Dakota Ballet Company, was decimated in the downtown fire. A decade on, much of the city has been rebuilt and new flood-fighting strategies are in place. In some ways, the town may actually be better. But it'll never be quite the same.

2 comments:

Jo said...

I think I mentioned this before, Jules, but there's a great This American Life segment on the flood. It was just so interesting. What a story!

Kerri said...

I can't believe it's been 10 years. I wasn't affected by it at all; I wonder if it seems so long ago, though, to the people directly hurt by it. I still vividly remember the pictures.

Post a Comment