Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Ghoulish Fun

We had a Ghoul Pool winner today for the first time in seven weeks (from the death of Guy de Rothschild). Unfortunately, it wasn't me! I haven't won since 1995. Hmph. I've been running the Ghoul Pool at work for about seven years now. (It was started long before that; I just inherited it.) To play, you bet on celebrities you think are going to die (they must be newsworthy and not have a pre-existing condition). There are different ways to play this game; the way we do it is to pay 50 cents per name per week; whenever one of your people dies, you get all the money in the pool. My biggest win ever was for Gregory Peck; I won almost $1400. (That's an unusually large win.) There are currently 160 names and 19 players in our pool. Here are the names I have: Louise Bourgeois, Robert Byrd, Beverly Cleary, Lucian Freud, Miep Gies, Sir Edmund Hillary, Stan Musial, I. M. Pei, Luise Rainer, and Sherwood Schwartz.

5 comments:

MK said...

Good luck with Robert Byrd - that guy's gonna live to 110.

Darren said...

I'm impressed with your choices! I'm suprised you haven't won for awhile... you look like you're playing smart and not just going for the household names.

Kerri said...

I miss the Ghoul Pool! What ghoulish good fun that was....

Kelly said...

The only time I won the Ghoul Pool was with Artie Shaw. Good times, good times.

Candy or Jo said...

Pavarotti would be a good candidate for this pool -- he has pancreatic cancer I'm sad to say...

Post a Comment