Monday, June 25, 2007

Best Reunion Ever!

Sorry for the lengthy delay in blogging--it's been quite a crazy couple of weeks! My 15-year Carleton reunion last weekend was incredibly fun. I arrived on Thursday--got a ride from the airport with Christopher, Pam, Kieran, and Chelsea. I hadn't seen them since the last reunion (five years ago), so it was great to catch up with them. That evening we met up with some theater folks, and I went to a reception at the home of one of my art history professors. Then a bunch of us just hung out back at Myers dorm--Tomkin, Amy & Chad, Johanna & Lisa, Christopher & Pam, Scotty, Virginia, and other classmates. Friday morning the Violet Femmes (me & Amy) were back on the air at KRLX, reliving our DJing days, but now with much-improved equipment. Our friends joined us in the studio, and Kieran and Chelsea helped out as guest DJs. Later in the day, Becca and her brood arrived--Omar and their boys, Max, Spencer, and Calvin. We all enjoyed some delicious Surly beer (look for it if you're in the Twin Cities), and then we made our way downtown to Basil's for some fabulous gyros pizza. We headed back to campus to do some swing dancing to music by the Jaztronauts (led by Joe Weisman), then went and watched fireworks. Saturday morning was the parade of classes. I always think it's funny to cheer as the older classes go by, as though we're applauding them for still being alive. We made our way downtown and played some trivia at the Reub (in your face, Chamy!), and that evening we ate dinner back on campus, and Scotty broke a soda container while trying to bob for water keg-stand-style. Becca came back to hang out with us some more, and she and I took a long walk around town, with a stop at Dacie Moses to hunt for cookies. On Sunday, folks started to disperse. I had been planning to head home that day.... But I'd been spending most of the weekend with Tomkin (class of '91), and on Sunday he convinced me to stay up in the Cities for a couple extra days. Scotty went, too, and we had a blast. I got to see Tomkin's house in St. Paul, have dinner with a couple of his friends, and even meet his parents and sisters (who were all very cool). I was definitely glad he convinced me to stay. I headed back to Chicago on Tuesday night. It was quite a vacation!

1 comments:

Kerri said...

Wow. I'm exhausted just reading about it!

Post a Comment