Friday, September 4, 2009

Stick a (Grand) Fork in Me - I'm Done!

The last few weeks have been kind of insanely busy--which means I have a lot of blogging to catch up on! So let me get started.... Way back on Friday, August 14th, I drove up to Grand Forks. (I coordinated the trip with my mom, who flew up from Texas, and my aunt Candy, who flew up from Florida.) I left about 11:00 and got to Brenda's about 4:15. I listened to a cheesey chick-lit book on CD during the drive, which helped the time pass pretty quickly. I hung out with Brenda for a couple hours, and then my mom picked me up. For years now, Brenda, her mom Barb, my mom, and I have been getting together for a girls' night out, and we inevitably celebrate either my birthday or my mom's birthday. (For some reason, we especially enjoy celebrating my mom's birthday when it's nowhere near the date.) For my 30th birthday (10 years ago!), we all went to Florida, where my mom was living at the time, and spent my birthday swimming with the manatees. Anyway, Mom and I decided that this year we would celebrate Barb and Brenda's birthdays (which are in November and December). And since Candy was in town, too, and her 60th birthday was just a few days away, we added her to the celebration. Mom and I picked Happy Joe's for the party site. Not the most sophisticated place...but we got a whole room to ourselves, where we could decorate and be rowdy. We got the room all set up, and then Barb, Brenda, and Candy arrived. We had a great time talking, laughing, being silly, eating, opening presents, blowing bubbles, and making a lot of noise. It was a really fun celebration.We also had cake and ice cream.
We closed down the restaurant and then headed back to Barb's house, where we got to meet her adorable dog, Jade. Then Brenda and I stopped by the Muddy Waters Clay Center, which she helped to found. So cool!
On Saturday, Brenda and I hung out with her animals (three dogs and one cat, all of whom are rescues--she does a lot of work for Hull's Haven border collie rescue) at her house, and then we hit some of the Grand Forks highlights. We started with a trip to Widman's candy store so I could pick up some Chippers (chocolate-covered potato chips). Always a must-have when visiting Grand Forks!Then we swung by the farmer's market before getting lunch at LaCampana. I headed over to my uncle Mike & aunt Renee's house. Mom, Candy, Grandma, and my cousins Laura, Benjamin, and Alex were there, too.We enjoyed a barbecue (Renee even made orange Jell-o with mandarin oranges--my favorite!) and looked at pictures (Mom had gotten together with some high school friends that day, and one of them had put together a DVD of old photos, plus Michael had some great travel shots). And of course we played Rock Band! I loved at one point that Mom, Candy, and Renee were cracking up, and Mom could NOT stop laughing! Once it got dark, we went outside and sat around a fire. Renee had made some brandy slushies that were deLISHious. I only had one, since I had to drive back to Brenda's. (I think these would be perfect for Third Thursdays sometime....)
Sunday I hung out with Brenda for a while, and then Mom picked me up. We stopped by the store to get some drinks and snacks, and then we went to my Grandma's new home, a place called Tufte Manor. We all gathered in one of the meeting rooms. My great-uncle Ralph and his wife, Lou, came by to visit with everyone. Grandma showed me her room and gave me a little tour of the place. But mostly we all just sat and chatted and laughed. Mom and Candy took me, Michael, Renee, Laura, Benjamin, and Alex out for dinner at LaCampana. (Can you tell it's everyone's favorite Mexican restaurant?) Then Mom, Candy, and I drove around town looking at houses they had lived in growing up and a couple that I had lived in as a kid. We all went to Brenda's so Mom and Candy could check out her gorgeous yard and gardens. She doesn't just have a green thumb--she's got a whole green hand! (She's a woman of many talents.)Brenda and I hung out in her backyard with the dogs since it was such a beautiful day. Then we headed to the Blue Moose for drinks and desserts. Yay!
Monday I hit the road about 8:30 and got home at 2:00. As soon as I got back I was swamped with work. But I was pooped, so we took a nap and then walked Chloe. I unpacked, got some work done, and we exercised. It was so fun to see everyone up in Grand Forks! The time always flies by.

2 comments:

Jo said...

What a fun trip! And, my goodness, Brenda's garden is spectacular!

Sharon said...

I sure hope Candy took home the Kazoo she had up her nose. And we were all sober!

Post a Comment