Friday, September 18, 2009

Of Friends and Food

On Wednesday, September 2nd, Tomkin and I had lunch over at his folks' house. We ate lunch inside, then went outside for tea since it was such a beautiful day. Tomkin and I went to Schuler Shoes and found some great fall and winter footwear in their clearance section. The shoes there aren't cheap, but they sure are comfortable and well-made! And getting them on sale was nice. We took Chloe for a walk, and that night Tomkin went to his weekly poker game while I led a premarital counseling session and then talked to my mom.
Thursday morning we exercised while watching the documentary "Tyson" about boxer Mike Tyson. Much of the movie is Tyson telling his own story--it was interesting to me to learn that much of his motivation came not from anger but from fear. It was a good reminder for me not to make snap judgments about people. (Not that I'm defending Mike Tyson, but watching the movie about him did make me think.) Tomkin went to the office, and I worked on judging magazines for the MMPA Excellence Awards. This is the second year that I've served as a judge, and I really enjoy it. We took Chloe for a walk, ate dinner outside, and then Tomkin had a wedding rehearsal. I led a premarital counseling session, and then we hung out and enjoyed some chocolate-and-cherry smoothies. I also bought a ticket to go to Chicago the first weekend in December. I'm co-hosting a bridal shower for my friend Lisa, who's getting married in Iowa in February, and I'm also going to throw myself a little 40th birthday party while I'm in town.
On Friday the 4th, Tomkin headed to the office, and I met up with Helena at the Minneapolis Institute of Arts. We were both art history majors at Carleton (and went on the off-campus studies program to Amsterdam together), so it was fun to check out an art exhibit with her. (The first of many in the Twin Cities, I hope!) We saw "Sin & Salvation" about the Pre-Raphaelites, whom I love. Their paintings are so rich and detailed and elegant. After perusing the artworks, we sat in the cafe to eat, drink, and chat. It's always a delight to spend time with Helena. Back at home, I did some work, took a nap, and then Tomkin and I walked Chloe. I did some blogging while Tomkin performed a wedding. Then we went to Christo's to have dinner with Peter and Mandy. Of course we had to get my favorite--saganaki (the flaming cheese!). It felt like ages since we'd seen Peter & Mandy, so it was great to hang out and talk. As usual, we closed the restaurant down--time always flies when we're with them!
Saturday morning Tomkin and I exercised, and then we hung out on the front porch. Tomkin read while I blogged. (Will I ever catch up?!?!) It was kind of a lazy, low-key day. Tomkin had a rehearsal, and that evening we met up with Liz and Fletch (who are moving here from California!) at First Avenue. I had never been there before! It's a really cool space. It's probably most famous as the featured club in Prince's 1984 movie "Purple Rain." The evening we went, the main event was a CD-release party for local singer/musician Mark Mallman. The opening acts, especially Black Blondie, were really good. And Mark Mallman was interesting. Mostly, though, we enjoyed hanging out and talking with Liz and Fletch and meeting their friends Kirsten and Anton, who happen to live in our neighborhood (and Kirsten went to Carleton!). It was a very fun evening, and I look forward to going back to First Ave.
Sunday, the 6th, Tomkin performed a baptism for the daughter of two of my high school classmates! I thought that was pretty cool. (Since it was basically a workday for him, and Monday was a holiday, we took our Sabbath day on Monday.) I got some chores done and spray-painted three of my six wooden cubes. I've had these things since I was a kid (I think my parents made them for me) and have carted them around to many different locations. They're solid (and heavy) and have been painted a variety of colors over the years. For now, I'm going to paint them blue and use them in the basement. We took Chloe for a walk, and we bought our tickets to Texas for Christmas. (Seems far off, but it'll be here before we know it!) Tomkin had to go perform a wedding, and I stayed home and did some blogging. Then we felt like getting out, so we drove to Minneapolis and headed to Joe's Garage. We had hoped to sit on the rooftop, but the wait was really long, so we snagged a seat out on the sidewalk. It was my first time there--the food was really good (though the portions were rather small). I got the macaroni & cheese, which was delicious. It was a beautiful night, and I certainly couldn't have asked for better company.
Monday the 7th was Labor Day. We read on the front porch, exercised while watching "Confessions of a Dangerous Mind," napped, and read some more. What a nice lazy day! That evening we (including Chloe) walked over to Syd & Dave's house for dinner. It was hard to get out of their huge, comfy new "chair of love." We took the dogs out back to let them work off some energy.Then we were treated to an incredible meal. (They had invited a couple other friends over, too.) Dave prepared homemade lobster bisque, filet mignon, and bread and butter (both also homemade). All of it was incredible. We also had pomegranate martinis and three kinds of wine. Wow! I love having foodie friends. Especially ones who are as fun to hang out with as Syd & Dave! Tomkin and I really try not to take our friends for granted--we feel very blessed to have so many smart, funny, talented, kind, interesting people in our lives. Each friend has their own unique gifts and talents, and we cherish every one!

0 comments:

Post a Comment