Friday, September 25, 2009

Bike Rides & Blessings

It's been a fairly low-key week, but I thought I'd go ahead and get caught up on the blog today since my friend Carrie is arriving this afternoon for a weekend visit from Chicago. (Yay!) Last Sunday, September 20th, Tomkin and I slept late (10:00!), but then we switched out of sloth mode and went for an 11-mile bike ride. We headed down Summit Avenue, then took the River Road to Ford Parkway, rode the bridge across the Mississippi, and biked back on the other side. We stopped to rest and check out the scenery a few times along the way. Both of us are amazed and thankful that we get to live in such a beautiful place! We were starving, so we picked up some sandwiches at Kowalski's on the way home, then ate a delicious lunch outside. After that we spent some time relaxing--reading on the front porch (both of us), napping (Tomkin & Chloe), and watching TV (me). We walked over to Jim & Roxanne's to pick something up, and Chloe got to run around with Watson in their backyard. Then Tomkin spent the evening editing video footage of Chloe's birthday party while I watched the Emmys. I alerted Tomkin when our friend Peter's category came up (he writes for The Colbert Report), but unlike last year the Colbert team went home empty-handed. Ah, well. I still thought it was a great show overall!
Monday morning Tomkin headed to the office. I met up with Becca for lunch at Yum! We ate and talked and ate some more (their desserts are to die for!). It was so fun to catch up with her and hear about the antics going on in her kids' lives. Becca is one crazy-busy woman, so it's always a treat when I get to spend time with her! I headed home and did some work while sitting on the front porch (Chloe kept me company), and then Tomkin and I took Chloe for a walk. That evening, Tomkin and Chloe hung out in the basement while I led a premarital counseling session. Then I watched the season premiere of "Dancing with the Stars" while Tomkin did some work.
Tuesday morning I biked halfway to work with Tomkin, then he continued on to the office and I headed home. I did some work and went grocery shopping at Target. We took Chloe for a short walk, and that night Tomkin met with a couple while I took Chloe to therapy dog class. She got kind of freaked out while we were working on distractions. There were all kinds of items spread out on the floor, and the instructor sent a skateboard whizzing by and started up a toy firetruck that made a beeping noise. All that was fine, but once she started blowing on the party horn, Chloe got really freaked out. She was shaking all over and started pulling me toward the door. The instructor felt so bad--she said this is all supposed to be fun for the dogs. Thankfully, after a few minutes, Chloe was fine again. We have three more classes to go, but we're going to take the Delta evaluation (to become a certified therapy dog team) this Monday! I think Chloe will pass, but you never know what might happen the day of the test. Fingers crossed!
On Wednesday, Tomkin had lunch with his parents then went to the office. I stayed home to work. It looks like I'm going to be working on another biodiesel grant soon! I'm also doing some editing work--busy, busy, busy, which is great! We took Chloe for a walk, and that night Tomkin went to see "The Informant!" (he thought it was okay--didn't love it) while I led a premarital counseling session, then talked to my mom and watched more "DWTS." (Three nights in a row is quite a lot to ask of your viewers....)
At Palm Beach Tan, in a room with the Mystic Tan booth.
Yesterday (Thursday), I biked down Summit with Tomkin, who then headed to the office. I got a spray tan and did a bit of shopping before settling in to work on the front porch. We took Chloe for a walk, and in honor of National Punctuation Day we looked for errors in signs along Grand Avenue. And we found a lot! Last night we went to Helena's for a house-blessing party. We had so much fun! We knew some of the other guests--it was great to catch up with Marcus, Nick, Cassidy, and Liz--and we really enjoyed talking to some people we'd never met before. Some were teachers or students from the Center for Happiness, others went to Carleton (which is how we know Helena) or had another connection with her. At 7:30, we all gathered around, and Helena led us in a blessing exercise to get rid of things from the past, both in regard to her house and in our own lives. Then at 9:00 we did a second blessing, which involved laughing in the corners of the house! There was lots of delicious (and naughty) food, which I heartily enjoyed. But mostly it was fun to just hang out and talk with so many fun and interesting people. And to bless Helena's beautiful new home!
Today (Friday) I've been cleaning our house in preparation for Carrie's arrival this afternoon. Her flight is scheduled to land about 3:30. I'm so excited to hang out with her for the next couple days! Whatever you're up to, I hope you have a wonderful weekend. And thanks, as always, for reading my blog!

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Poor Chloe! I hope that her evaluation goes well. Have fun with Carrie.

Blessings,
Sarah

Jo said...

I think Alejandro and I are going to laugh in the corners of our house today!

Have a blast with Carrie!

Lisa Kibitlewski said...

OMG...I want one of those cupcakes!!! YUM

Post a Comment