Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Leather Tuscadero and the Suedes

Saturday, June 13th, was kind of a crazy day. I had a premarital counseling session in the morning. Tomkin and Chloe explored the neighborhood yard sales and picked up a few goodies. (One nice lady gave Chloe a bone!) At noon, a reporter/photographer from MPR arrived to photograph Tomkin in conjunction with her recent interview of him. (The whole story should be available soon--I'll be sure to post the link!) She got lots of pictures of him getting ready, and then she went with him to a wedding he officiated that afternoon. This is Tomkin's idea of heaven--he loves being photographed! (Which is part of what makes us such a good couple.) I ran over to Heidi's to check in on her cat, and then I spent the afternoon organizing the basement. I still have boxes down there that I haven't opened since I moved in a year-and-a-half ago!Somehow my "organization" only seems to have made it seem more cluttered down there.... After Tomkin got home, we took Chloe for a walk, and then we all took a nap. That night Cassidy (who's seven months pregnant!) and Angie (and their dachshund, Fergie) came over to play Rock Band with us. It was great to see them, and we all had a lot of fun singing and playing. I love how people get into more and more once they get a little more comfortable and relaxed. People really start rocking out!
That Sunday, June 14th, was the two-year anniversary of Tomkin and me reconnecting at my Carleton reunion. Basically, from our first conversation that weekend (in the Nourse Theater), our lives changed forever. What an amazing two years it's been! And, truly, things just keep getting better. In anticipation of our new furniture arriving, Tomkin and I brought Chloe's crate and the blue chair down to the basement. Then we put our old couch out on the corner with a "free" sign, hoping someone would take it home. (It took a couple days and one false alarm, but someone finally hauled it away!)Our new couch and loveseat were delivered, and I think they transform the living room. I'd never had leather furniture before, and I wasn't sure I'd like it. But I love it! And so does Chloe. It's really comfy, and now there's plenty of room for all of us. (Plus, it's a lot easier to wipe up after muddy paws.)We got out of the house and went for a nice walk down to Patina, the Dairy Queen, and the hardware store. We discovered that the DQ has three types of sugar-free treats (including Dilly Bars!), and they give your dog a free cone! Then we went home and just read and relaxed. My new Sunday ritual is to go through each week's new People magazine. Such a guilty pleasure! (But, let's be honest, not TOO guilty....)
On Monday, Tomkin went into the office, and I got lunch with Becca at a cute little restaurant in St. Louis Park called Yum! We went all out with chips and fries and cake for dessert--everything was delicious. And of course it was great to see Becca! I made my weekly trek to Target, and that evening I had a premarital counseling session. Tomkin met with a couple (he is so in demand!). Then we both took Chloe for a walk before curling up on the couch to watch a little TV.
Tuesday I biked to the Y and swam, then ran errands and worked. Tomkin had lunch at The Wienery with his friend John Gall, then went to the office. It was a little rainy out, but we walked Chloe to the vet for her monthly weigh-in. She was down to 112 (lost a pound), so that was pretty good! I had a premarital counseling session, so Tomkin took Chloe and ran a few errands. When they got home, he gave her a bath. She was a little stinky.... Then we put together some new shoe shelves I just bought. Our idea is to always make our lives in general (and our home in particular) a little bit better all the time. It's funny how something like a couple of shelves can make such a big difference!
On Wednesday we all went over to Tomkin's parents' house for lunch and celebrated Nancy's birthday. Tomkin and Jenny had gotten her a feather bed to put on top of her mattress--she was thrilled! Tomkin headed to the office, and I worked at home. We walked Chloe, and then Tomkin went to his weekly poker game (usually it's at Tracy's house, but this time they went to Ben's new house in Eagan). I had a premarital counseling session, then talked to Mom.

Tomkin went to the dentist on Thursday and found out he needs another root canal. I got my hair cut at Estetica (I'm so excited that I've finally found a stylist I really like!), then picked up Heidi, and we got lunch at Cafe Latte. She filled me in on her family's trip to Texas, where her in-laws threw her a baby shower. That afternoon, Tomkin picked up his new bike (it's so cool!), then had a wedding rehearsal. I got the house ready for our cocktail party. This month for Third Thursdays we served mojitos! Tomkin made up a few pitchers (with fresh-squeezed lime juice and a LOT of mint), and they were a big hit. We had a fun crowd--some regulars and a few new folks--and the party ran good and late. Ah, summer fun....

1 comments:

Jo said...

I loved this batch of photos! Rocking out on your guitar, swing that hammer, and that fantastic mojito-drinking face... Aw, I just miss you!

Post a Comment