Saturday, June 6, 2009

Springing Into Summer

Back on Tuesday, May 26th, Tomkin went over to his folks' house to help them paint some windowsills. I met Becca for lunch at Tum Rup Thai. No baby Leo with her this time. We chatted and caught up--had to talk about the American Idol finale for one thing. (For the record, I think it's fine that Adam didn't win. Still a bit of a surprise...but I'm glad I don't have to buy his version of that horrible "No Boundaries" song.) Anyway, it was great, as always, to see her. If I ever think I'm busy, hearing about her life really puts things into perspective!I went home and did some work, and then Tomkin and I took Chloe for a walk. That evening, I had a premarital counseling session, and Tomkin went to the library. Then we just relaxed at home, read, and played on the computer.
Wednesday I went grocery shopping at Target and got some editing work done. Tomkin had lunch with his friend John, and they went to a shooting gallery. We took Chloe for a walk, and then Tomkin headed to his weekly poker game. I talked to my mom, and then I had more work to do. (I'm thankful for my flexible schedule and steady editing gigs!)
On Thursday, Tomkin worked in the yard and cleaned out the gutters before heading in to the office. I went swimming at the Y, got a spray tan, then worked on the front porch. We took Chloe for a walk--it was gorgeous out! Then we headed out to Minnetonka to have dinner with my aunt Carol and her husband, Steve. They have a beautiful home, and Steve has cultivated an amazing Japanese garden throughout their yard. They fixed an incredible dinner (salmon, salad, and asparagus), and we enjoyed talking and catching up with them.
That Friday, Helena picked me up and brought me along to her "Hour of Power" workout class. I was so nervous that we actually came up with a safe word ("potato chip") in case the class got too tough, but thankfully I didn't need to use it. The class was held outside, and it was a good workout. But I've learned not to push myself too hard--I wanted to be able to walk the next day! I enjoyed doing some strength-training, and it was great to see Helena, too. Tomkin had lunch with his friend Fletch, who was in town for a few days. He went to the office, and I worked at home, then we both took Chloe for a walk. That evening we got dinner at Ngon Vietnamese Bistro with Marcus, Helena, and Nick (who Helena's been seeing recently). It was fun to meet Nick--we all had a great time. And the food was delicious! Ngon is especially known for their pho, and I understand why. After we got home, Tomkin did some work, and I helped Chloe set up her own Facebook page. Now she's got an outlet for all her doggy adventures!
On Saturday, Tomkin and I headed over to the nearby Express Bike Shop and picked out a new bike for me. I thought it would take a long time to find something I liked, but I fell in love with the second bike I tried. It's a GT Vantara hybrid. I left it in the shop so they could add lights, a bell, extra handles, fenders, and a basket. We donated my old mountain bike (well, it wasn't actually THAT old--Tomkin had bought it for me in the summer of '07) to the bike shop. That afternoon, Tomkin and Chloe and I headed to the Minnehaha dog park, where we met up with Kristen and Dave, a couple who Tomkin is marrying later this month, and Kristen's parents (and their dogs). They were all really nice and fun, and we had a great time hanging out with them. Chloe had fun, too, although she was being typically shy. On our way out, we ran into Jen and Caroline Cho--it was a fun surprise to see them. We came home and took a nap (we were all pooped!), and then that night we headed to Hell's Kitchen to see/hear our friend Joe Weisman's band, The Smarts. We had hoped that we'd be able to swing dance, but it turns out that this band plays much different music than Joe's last band, the Jazztronauts. We still enjoyed the music (and drinks), and we had fun chatting with Joe's wife, Jen, and a bunch of their friends.
Sunday was a near-perfect Sabbath day. We slept in, then read on the front porch. Tomkin had never played tennis before, and I haven't played in years. We borrowed rackets from our friend Tracy and headed to some nearby courts to give it a try. It was so much fun! Both of us really enjoyed it. We didn't play for points, we just hit the ball back-and-forth. But what a workout! Chloe came with us, too, and just sat in the sun. When we went home, Tomkin took a nap, and then we both sat outside on the Adirondack chairs and read. Tomkin had a meeting with a couple, and I napped while he was gone. Then we both took Chloe for a walk and spent more time reading on the front porch. It was a truly wonderful and relaxing day.

0 comments:

Post a Comment