Monday, June 16, 2008

This Weekend Rocked!

Tomkin, Adena, Jules, and John at Bonfire
Okay, so I'm still planning to catch up on blog posts for stuff that happened between the honeymoon and now. But first I figured I'd post about this most recent weekend. Last Wednesday, Tomkin and I went to Axel's Bonfire to hear his friend Adena sing with Kurt Jorgenson. Adena's husband, John, recently got back from working in New Orleans (he's an architect), and Tomkin and I are happy to get to hang out with them more now. Anyway, the band sounded great, and we had a fun time. John and Adena then invited us to join them for Adena's birthday celebration on Friday, which we did. Kate, John, Jules, Tomkin, Adena, Alyssa, and Eric at the Loring Pasta Bar
We met up with them and a few other friends at the Loring Pasta Bar for dinner (great place-it's where I had the first part of my bachelorette party). Then we headed to the Varsity Theater for the U.S. Air Guitar Championships.Tomkin, Alyssa, John ("the manager"), Kate, Adena, and Eric Outside the Varsity TheaterJules is Ready to Rock!
We lined up early and got great seats. It' such a cool place! I'd never been there before. The show started at 10:00. I was pretty unimpressed overall, but there were a few entertaining performers, and we had a great time watching them all. Air Guitar Fans in the Varsity Theater
Tomkin actually tried to sign up to go on at the last minute, but all the slots were full. I'm sure he would have done an amazing job! (Anyone from Carleton remember the punk band Malt-o-gasm?) Tomkin, Kate, John, and Adena Do Some Air Headbanging
We had a really fun evening and are looking forward to hanging out more with John and Adena--we've already agreed to go to Mardi Gras with them in February!Anniversary Dinner at The Melting Pot
On Saturday, it was exactly one year since Tomkin and I reconnected at my Carleton reunion. It's pretty mind-boggling to think of all that's happened in the last year! To celebrate, Tomkin and I went out to dinner at The Melting Pot. De-LISH! We had a cheese course, a salad, and then the surf-and-turf entree, so we got to cook up lobster and fillet mignon in coq au vin. Wow. We skipped the chocolate fondue, but our waiter brought us a piece of cheesecake in honor of our anniversary. It was a fun, rather decadent, evening, and we enjoyed reflecting on our time together so far. There have definitely been some challenges this year, but overall it's been more joyous and amazing than I ever could have imagined.Dogs and People Enjoying the Food at Jim and Roxanne'sTomkin and Chloe
Yesterday we called to wish our dads a happy Father's Day, and then we went to a cookout at our neighbor friends' Jim and Roxanne's house. (Chloe got to come, too!) It was fun to just hang out, eat and drink, and relax in the sun. We did some of that at home this weekend, too--curled up and read in the hammock, went on long walks with Chloe, watched an episode of "So You Think You Can Dance"--and I even did a little work while Tomkin was off performing weddings. (I'm also finishing up the picture selection for our wedding photo albums--I've narrowed them down to about 700 "favorites" now.) It was one of those rare weekends where I felt really satisfied at the end--I got a few things done, but also relaxed and had fun. Summer weekends rock!

1 comments:

Richard and Lisa said...

I can't believe it's been an entire year since you reconnected with Tomkin! How wonderful! So much has happened since then. You are truly blessed! I miss you!

Post a Comment