Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Oh, Oh, Patio!

It's been a pretty low-key last few days, but I figured I'd catch up on the blog before the very busy weekend ahead. Last Saturday (the 16th) we had a very productive day around the house. I cranked up my new Kelly Clarkson CD (love it!) and did some housecleaning, and Tomkin put up the jewelry holders that he made for me. Our neighbor Luke stopped by, and we all chatted a while. And our contractors spent the day laying the pavers for our new patio (yay!!!) and finishing the installation of a drainpipe in the front yard.They left a pile of bricks and wood on the yard over the pipe to keep it in place and picked everything up a couple days later. Tomkin and I went for a bike ride down Summit Ave., and then I went for a run. And I decided that I really, really hate running. So much so that I've already called off my possible plans to do a triathlon in the fall. However, we're still planning to do the bike tour, so I'm maintaining my triathlon training schedule--I've just modified it so I don't have to do any running. I felt bad because both Becca and Helena (Ironwomen that they are) offered to the do triathlon with me. But I figure if I hate running that much, then I shouldn't force myself to do it. There are plenty of other ways to get good exercise. It was a little chilly out, but Tomkin and I walked Chloe down to the Coffee News Cafe on Grand Ave. and ate dinner outside. Then we walked home, where we hung out and relaxed. I was exhausted and sore!
Sunday was a Sabbath day for me, but not so much for Tomkin. He performed two baptisms. I started reading Merle's Door and napped on the front porch with Chloe. Tomkin hired someone to come over and wax and detail his car--the guy was here for three hours, and Tomkin's car looks amazing! Once I didn't feel like a total slug zombie anymore, I had fun organizing my jewelry and shoes. Tomkin and I took Chloe for a walk, and we chatted with a bunch of neighbors. (I love this neighborhood!) Then we curled up on the couch and watched a couple hours of TV.
On Monday, Tomkin went into the office. I worked at home and went grocery shopping at Target. The contractors came by to pick up the last of their stuff, which meant they were officially done! Tomkin and I walked Chloe to the library, and she kindly carried back our books in her backpack. Tomkin did some yardwork, and I started spray-painting some wooden cubes. I've had these things since I was a kid and have moved them around with me to every place I've lived. They're six heavy, solid wood boxes, and I use them (now) for storing supplies in my basement office. They were originally pink and white, and they're now mostly red and black. I'm trying to make them blue so they'll match my office. I didn't realize how hard spray-painting can be! Two days later, my arm is still sore, and I can't quite hold a pen right. (I have since learned that one can use a spray-painting gun. Will put that on my list....) I ran out of paint and decided I had too much going on this week to take on this task anyway, so I have aborted the mission until further notice. Tomkin and I went to our swing dance class, which was so much fun! This week we learned the Kansas City and the Heel Swag. Only one more class to go! I'm looking forward to actually going out and dancing sometime soon. When we got home, we exercised while watching the "Dancing with the Stars" finale.
Tuesday, I went to the YMCA and swam laps for the first time in I-don't-know-how-long. Turns out that's really good exercise! And kind of fun, too. Tomkin got a workout in the yard, as he spread 70 bags of mulch around. It was really the finishing touch, and now the whole outside of our house looks amazing, if I do say so myself! We'd still like to have a retaining wall installed along the edge of the yard (where now there are wooden timbers), and we're also talking about putting up a fence (Tomkin even got the okay from our neighbor). Probably not until next year, though. I did some work, and Tomkin took a much-needed nap. We walked Chloe to the liquor store and had her carry back our vodka for tomorrow night's Third Thursdays party. She was really dragging. We didn't realize until later that it was 97 degrees out! No wonder the poor dog was so pooped. We got a new point-and-shoot camera because the one I have now is dying. It's a Canon Power Shot, and it's really cool! Tomkin had fun setting it up and trying it out. I led a premarital counseling session, and Tomkin read outside on the hammock. Then I watched the finale of DWTS (I won't say anything about the results because I don't think my mom has watched the show yet!) and the first part of the "American Idol" finale. I'm rooting hard for Adam, but I'm really afraid that Kris might have the momentum (and the votes from Danny Gokey's fans). Fingers crossed!!!
Today (Wednesday) Tomkin gave Chloe a bath and then did more yardwork. (Our neighbor Tracy gave us a bunch of raspberry bushes, which Tomkin planted near the patio.) We both had lunch with his parents, and then we went shopping at Trader Joe's. We're hosting a party tomorrow night and then having friends over on Saturday, so our house is overflowing with food and beverages! Tomkin took a nap, and I did more shopping at Cub. Now Tomkin is at his weekly poker game. I talked to my mom and am gearing up to watch the "American Idol" finale. This weekend I've got two high school friends coming to town: Kristen, who I haven't seen in 17 years, and Sarah, who I probably haven't seen since we graduated in 1988. We're getting together with my friend Heidi, who also lives here. Our friend Lana had planned to come, too, but it turns out that she can't make it now. (At least I got to see her last year at my wedding!) I'm so excited to see these friends again, catch up, and reconnect. This reunion is something I've been trying to put together for years, and now it's finally happening! I'll have lots to blog about next week. In the meantime, enjoy your holiday weekend!

4 comments:

Sharon said...

Jules & Tomkin,
Your yard looks amazing!
Love,
Mom

Candy or Jo said...

Your home looks really comfortable inside and out! You should be very pleased with your choices.

Jo said...

It looks really lovely, guys. Enjoy!

Sarah said...

Your patio is beautiful! We really enjoyed our afternoon with you there.
Blessings,
Sarah

Post a Comment