Friday, May 15, 2009

Of Concerts and Concrete

Funny how there never really seems to be a good time for blogging these days. Well, I guess 10:00 on a Friday night will have to do! Going back to last Thursday (May 7th), it was a gorgeous day, and the contractors came over and did some good work on our yard--they did lots of digging and prep work. That evening, Tomkin went to the library while I led a premarital counseling session, and then we both hung out on the porch and read. I'm almost done with "Fargo Rock City" and am loving it!
Friday morning, Tomkin and I got 16th-row tickets for the American Idols tour. This is the first time I've ever gotten tickets to see the show. Such is the power of Adam Lambert! I think I'm going to take my friend Becca since Tomkin's not really dying to see all the Idols, live or otherwise. We had hoped the contractors would be over to pour concrete, but they never showed up. I soothed myself by getting a pedicure at Red Nails. Wow, do my feet look and feel a lot better now! Tomkin and I took Chloe for a walk, and I finally got to meet our neighbor Heidi's new dog, Otto. What a cutie! That evening, we got dinner at Pizza Luce with Peter and Mandy--it felt like we hadn't seen them in a while, so it was great to catch up. Afterward, we all headed back to our place. The original plan had been to hang out on our new patio, but since a) it was raining and b) our "patio" was still basically a mud pit, we just had some drinks inside. Helena and Pete joined us, too. What a fun night! It was great to hang out, talk, and laugh with some awesome friends.
Tomkin and I treated Saturday as our Sabbath day since we had plans on Sunday. We took Chloe for a walk, sat outside at Caribou and enjoyed some coffee, lounged around, exercised, and read. That evening Tomkin was a little antsy, so we decided to go see a movie. By the time we started formulating our plan our options were limited, but we agreed upon "Adventureland," which was playing at the Parkway Theater in Minneapolis. I'd never been there before--it was awesome! Five bucks to get in, it's a single-screen theater, and the first two rows of seats were actual leather couches. The movie itself was fine--entertaining but forgettable. Still, it was a fun little date with my hubby!
On Sunday we headed up to St. Cloud for Alex's graduation from St. Cloud State University. We headed to my dad and Sandy's house first, and then we all headed over to the graduation site (a hockey arena) together with Phillip. Alex graduated with a degree in statistics and will be starting grad school (also for statistics) in the fall. Such a smarty boots! We were very proud of him. After the ceremony (and the requisite picture-taking) we all had dinner on campus, which was really nice. It was such a fun and exciting day! And nice to see all of them again--we hadn't seen them since Christmas. Tomkin walked Chloe and did some yard work after we got home. I watched the season finale of "Amazing Race."
The contractors came back on Monday (hallelujah!) and poured cement for the front step and the patio. It hadn't occurred to us beforehand how difficult it would be for us to get Chloe out of the house with that wet cement. We thought about trying to get her to jump out of a window or something. Eventually we got her out the front door, and she only stepped one paw in the cement. We took her for a walk, then left her at our friend Tracy's house for a while. Tomkin and I went to our swing dance class--this week we learned the double-step and triple-step swing. So much fun!
My crazy friend Becca, who's an emergency room doctor and has four sons, does triathlons for "fun." A while back, she had asked if I'd be interested in doing one. At the time, I truly couldn't fathom it. Well, Tuesday I saw that she just signed up to do another one in a couple months. And it got me thinking.... I've been looking for a way to get motivated so I'll look good in a bikini by the time we go to Hawaii in October. And I realized that training for a triathlon would be a great way to get a lot of regularly scheduled exercise (which, frankly, is what I need). So I did a little research and found out that the St. Paul Triathlon is on August 23rd. I'm not 100% committed to doing it at this point, but I did find a training schedule and put it all on my calendar. Tomkin and I have definitely decided to do the St. Paul Classic Bike Tour on September 13th, so we'd want to train for that anyway. Helena has also agreed to train for the triathlon with us. So, if nothing else, we'll all be in great shape by the end of the summer! Anyway, Tomkin and I took Chloe for a walk on Tuesday, and that night we saw "Caroline, or Change" at the Guthrie. Interesting show--it's a musical by Tony Kushner. I really enjoyed it.
On Wednesday morning, we scored 6th-row tickets to see Kelly Clarkson when she performs at the MN State Fair! Originally we were going to get tickets to see Kid Rock, but we couldn't get very good seats. I've already seen him in concert twice, and I think the Kelly Clarkson show will be a lot of fun. She's got some great rockin' songs! I headed to Open Book for a Minnesota Book Publishers Roundtable luncheon, then went shopping at Target. Tomkin had lunch with his folks and then bought some new trees and bushes for our yard. We took Chloe for a walk, and then I had a premarital counseling session, and Tomkin went with some friends to see the new "Star Trek" movie. I got caught up on "Dancing with the Stars" and "American Idol." I was so relieved that Adam made it to the finals! I wonder if Kris Allen is going to pull an upset, though. I have a feeling that a lot of Danny Gokey's fans will transfer their loyalties to Kris. I'm still 100% behind Adam, though!
Yesterday (Thursday) Helena picked up me and Chloe, and we went to see the house that she might be buying. Very exciting! It looks like a great place. Then we walked around beautiful Lake Como. We were so engrossed in conversation that I didn't get any photos of our walk! I did my first official bit of triathlon training--just a short run, but I thought it was going to kill me. This could be a higher hill to climb than I'd anticipated.... I led a premarital counseling session, and Tomkin met with a couple. Then he went running while I talked to my mom.
Today (Friday) Tomkin and I walked Chloe to the vet for her monthly weigh-in. Somehow she managed to GAIN a pound this month! (Now she's up to 113.) Too many treats, perhaps? We made our way through the gorgeous tunnel of lilacs on Summit Avenue--one of the many things I love about St. Paul! We met Helena for a yoga class at the Center for Happiness--that was quite a workout! Then we came home and did our second day of triathlon training (bike riding). I really should sleep well tonight.... Tomorrow the contractors should be back to finish up the patio! And my weekend plans all got cancelled, so I'm hoping to have a couple relaxing/productive days around the house.

1 comments:

Sharon said...

The tunnel of lilacs looks beautiful--and I'd bet smells like heaven!
Love,
Mom

Post a Comment