Friday, January 29, 2010

Hawaii Trip - Day Ten (10/30/09): Lounging & A Luau

Three months later, I am still blogging about Hawaii.... Just a few more days to go! (It's probably just as well that I never blogged about the Spain trip--who knows how long that would have taken?!) On Friday the 30th, I requested that we have a true vacation day. My rib was still sore, I was kind of tired, and I knew we still had a few big adventures left. So we spent most of the day just hanging around the B&B. Tomkin took a nap after breakfast, and I checked my e-mail and Facebook up at the main house. As usual, we slathered up with suntan lotion. We were determined not to get burned! I got a bunch of food from the refrigerator, and we had a nice little picnic outside the coffee barn. Then Tomkin brought the computer up to the main house and hung out on the lanai for a while. From that spot, there's such a gorgeous view! We walked back over to Keke's for lunch. Even though it's so close, it was a little scary to walk there, since you have to go right along the highway. Once again, I ordered the brisket sandwich (sooooo good!), and this time Tomkin got one, too. The male owner wasn't there, but his wife was. When I sent Tomkin back up to get more BBQ sauce, I saw him chatting with her and then handing her his hat. Her husband had been complimenting him on it when we were there before, so Tomkin thought he should have it. (I thought that was so sweet!) We saw the husband show up a few minutes later, go inside, and then come out with the hat. I thought he was going to cry! We sat and chatted with him for a while (such a nice and interesting guy), and then we headed home. We had a little time to rest before we got ready for our second luau. We left about 4:15 and followed our GPS's directions. Unfortunately, this one time it steered us wrong. It felt like we just kept driving and driving.... We stopped a couple times and asked for directions and then finally arrived at the very secluded Kona Village Resort at 5:00. We got in line, and I was given a beautiful head lei. Even though we didn't arrive early, we still got excellent seats. At the end of our table was a gay couple from New York. They were awesome! Very fun to talk to. And across from us was a young couple on their honeymoon. We all had a mai tai (actually, I had Tomkin's), and then we were led to the nearby "imu" area, where the pig had been roasted in the ground. There was also an oven where turkey and vegetables had been cooking. A woman explained the traditions and cooking process as a bunch of men lifted layers of coverings off the food and placed the meat onto some boards. One thing I noticed as I looked at the crowd was how colorful all the clothes were! Not just grays, blues, blacks, and browns as you often see in Minnesota. We all headed back to our seats, and then we got to go through the buffet to get food. It was amazing! That pork was one of the best meats I've ever had. I also really enjoyed the mashed purple sweet potatoes, the pineapple, and the crab legs. And I tried the poi again, but still didn't care for it. I managed to save room for dessert and coffee, but then I was stuffed. The show started at 7:30. The dancing was impressive and entertaining--and not nearly as cheesey as the previous luau we'd attended. Both Tomkin and I really enjoyed it. The show ended about 8:15, and then Tomkin and I wandered around the resort. It turns out this is where the movie stars stay when they visit the island. The CHEAP rooms are $410 a night, and they go up to $1200 a night. Yikes! But it's a beautiful place--and huge. One highlight of the resort are the petroglyphs on the land. Tomkin and I found them and walked out on the wooden trails around them, but we couldn't see much since it was so dark. We headed back to the B&B for our last night in the coffee barn. Tomkin did a little research into our next few activities, and I worked on packing so we could head out in the morning. That side of the island doesn't get much rain, but it was pouring that evening! Kind of strange. But it was nice to have such a relaxing, low-key day.

0 comments:

Post a Comment