Sunday, October 18, 2009

More Celebrations and (of course) More Food!

The day after my birthday (October 8th), we got back to business. Tomkin, Chloe, and I walked down Grand Ave. to run some errands, then Tomkin headed to the office and I did some work at home. We took Chloe for a walk and ran a couple more errands. Then Tomkin and I went to an art opening at Now Boarding. For my birthday, Tomkin commissioned Jessie Marianiello from Stray Dog Arts to paint portraits of Scout and Chloe. Unfortunately, they're not done yet--but that's okay. I know they'll be worth the wait! Jessie has been busy painting other pet portraits for this opening, and it was such a treat to see her and more of her work. We also got a tour of the facility and enjoyed some appetizers and drinks. Then we headed over to Salsa a la Salsa to meet Becca and Omar for dinner. (Becca is such a trooper--she worked at the emergency room until 7:00 and then met us for dinner at 8:00!) As always, it was a blast to see them both. They are so funny! The food there is delicious, and we had a great time eating, talking, and drinking margaritas.
We slept in on Friday, and then Tomkin worked at home before heading to a wedding rehearsal. I ran a bunch of errands (liquor store, bank, Border's, spray tan place) and cleaned the house. Then we both took Chloe for a walk. We walked along the railroad tracks in the area we call "the wardrobe." It was a beautiful autumn day! That night we went to "The Importance of Being Earnest" at the Guthrie. I loved it! What a great show--excellent cast and (thanks to Oscar Wilde) a hilarious script. It was lots of fun.
Saturday morning (October 10th), we woke up to the first snowfall of the season! It was so shocking that I actually gasped when I raised the blinds. Fortunately, it melted pretty quickly. Tomkin and I went to Heidi and Chris's new house and got to meet their four-week-old son, Joshua! He's battling a cold, so we didn't get to hold him, but it was still fun to see him in person. He's adorable! We enjoyed getting a tour of their beautiful new home and spending some time sitting and visiting with them. We headed home and cleaned up the house (in preparation for that evening's dinner party), and Tomkin picked up my birthday cake from Woullet's.I did some work while Tomkin researched our Hawaii itinerary and then headed to a wedding. I got everything set up for the party, and Tomkin picked up a bunch of food from India House on his way home. We had a really fun group of people over: Pete, Liz & Fletch, Syd & Dave, Slam & Mandy, and Cassidy & Angie (with baby Harry). We chowed down on the delicious food and then sat around and talked. Such smart, funny people--they shared lots of good stories, and we all laughed a lot and had a great time. Mandy led everyone in a chorus of "She's a Jolly Good Fellow" when we cracked open the champagne. Then Tomkin lit the candles on my cake, and everyone sang "Happy Birthday." We had cake with two kinds of ice cream (one was sugar-free so Tomkin could enjoy it, too!). Eventually, the crowd thinned out, but we got to spend an extra hour or so chatting with Liz and Fletch. They recently moved here from California, and they are going to house/dog-sit while we're in Hawaii! It's a win for us, a win for them, and a win for Chloe. The whole evening was absolutely wonderful. I'm incredibly thankful to have so many fun and amazing people in my life.
Sunday was pretty mellow. I got up and had some cake for breakfast, and then we went back to bed until 12:30. We took Chloe to the dog park--we hadn't been there in ages! Some of the leaves are starting to change, but it's still more "crisp" than "bitterly cold" out, so it was a pleasure to walk through the forest, along the beach, and up Scout's Ridge. Chloe enjoyed it, too! Not the water, though--that was a little too chilly for her liking. I've been making her wear a neck/ear-warmer on the colder days now. She's not crazy about it, but I think she looks so cute! When we got home, I broke my "no computer on the Sabbath" rule so I could e-mail the invite for my birthday party in Chicago. (I'm flying there in December to co-host a bridal shower for my friend Lisa and figured that instead of trying to coordinate separate lunches, coffees, dinners, etc., with various friends, I'd just throw one big party and have everyone get together at the same time.) Then I watched some TV ("So You Think You Can Dance" and "Amazing Race") while Tomkin read. It was a really fun weekend (good times, great friends, and wonderful celebrations!), but nice and relaxing, too.

0 comments:

Post a Comment